BODRUM - JULY 2009
Halicarnassus, modern Bodrum, was an ancient Greek city on the southwest coast of Anatolia in the Gulf of Kos. It was also the site of an important siege in 334 BC that led to the victory of Alexander the Great over the Persian Empire. Known for hosting one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World - the Tomb of Mausolus -, Halicarnassus was also home to Herodotus, the Greek historian (484-420 BC).
"BAY - With the castle of St. Peter, built by the Knights of Rhodes between 1402 and 1437"
"VIEWS - With the Ancient Theatre, the Castle and the windmills..."
"ARTEMISIA II OF CARIA & ATATURK - Artemisia was the sister and wife of Mausolus, a satrap in the Persian Empire, who built the city of Halicarnassus. Ataturk is still always present"
"TOMB OF MAUSOLUS - Built between 353 and 350 BC on order of Artemisia II for her dead husband Mausolus, the structure stood approximately 45 meters in height. The present day ruins look like this..."
"TOMB OF MAUSOLUS - It was considered by Antipater of Sidon as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The word mausoleum derives from this tomb of Mausolus, and has since been used as synonymous of any grand tomb"
"CASTLE OF ST. PETER OR PETRONIUM - The construction of the castle started in 1402, using squared green volcanic stone and marble columns and reliefs from the nearby Mausoleum of Mausolus to fortify the castle. The first walls were completed in 1437"
"MUSEUM OF UNDERWATER ARCHAEOLOGY - In 1962 the castle was turned into a museum for the underwater discoveries of ancient shipwrecks in the Aegean Sea"
"TOWERS & MOSQUE - According to Wikipedia, each tongue (the geographic-cultural sub groupings of the members of the Knights of Rhodes/Maltese Knights from the 14th to the 18th century) had its own tower, each in his own style and the French tower being the tallest. The chapel (probably finished by 1406), was reconstructed in Gothic style by Spanish Knights in 1519-1520 and turned into a mosque after the fall of the castle of Rhodes (headquarter of the Knights) in December 1522"
"ENGLISH TOWER - The three-storied English tower was finished in 1413. With two doors, one opening to the north, to the inner part of the castle and the other leading to the western rampart, one could only access this tower via a drawbridge. The western façade shows a carved relief of a lion. Because of this relief, the tower was also called "the Lion Tower". Above this lion, one can see the coat of arms of king Henry IV of England"
"BODRUM & BEACH"
"BODRUM VIEWS - From the castle"